* DE manufacturers who work in diatomaceous earth mines 5 days/week
advise inhaling it is not a problem (though, of course, don’t be snuffing
it) and we have not had problems when inhaling DE in small amounts. IF you
have asthma or some other lung ailment, either wear a mask or be very
careful when using food grade diatomaceous earth.
* Do NOT get diatomaceous earth in the eyes. DE is drying to the eyes, so do NOT put it out when you or your pets are down wind of it. DE is drying to your skin, hands, and feet, just as it can be to your pets.
* Do NOT use heavily in carpet. Some advise too much DE causes vacuum problems.
* NEVER use pool filter grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those labeled “Food Grade” for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
* Some people experience a healing crisis (detox reaction or Herx) when beginning DE consumption. If this occurs, reduce the dose, till your body is cleansed, and then increase to the RDA.
* Remember, DE will kill beneficial insects as well, so don’t put it on your flowers where the honey bees go and use wisely.
My name is Bree Weasner, and I’ve been bringing pet owners like you valuable information on pet nutrition and natural holistic alternatives to conventional pet care since 2001.
New Jersey, USA